Note: If you purchased this product before, you could write a product review on our website by using the form at the bottom of this page. Your own experience will really help others to determine which guitar course is the best. By submitting this form, you certify that your review is a genuine opinion and you have no personal or business relationship with the product. You also attest that you have not been offered any incentive or payment originating from the product owner to write this review. This website has a zero-tolerance policy on fake reviews.
After the past few product releases, the quality of Dan Denley’s new product has become a bit more better. Acoustic Guitar Secrets, a DVD home study package, is specifically designed for intermediate acoustic guitar players. The materials include 5 DVDs totalling around 7 hours of high quality video, 2 audio CDs featuring 127 tracks of acoustic guitar and a 135-page downloadable book with 158 musical examples.
Dan Denley began playing guitar when he was only 14. He is a self-taught guitarist and classically trained musician. He claimed that he earned a bachelor’s degree in music history. Dan has been a member of 10 bands and has played in some large venue performances so he has a lot of playing experience himself.
Acoustic Guitar Secrets is full of quality content:
- 5 DVDs which contain 7 hours of video teaching you:
– how to play different guitar styles including blues, bluegrass, country, fingerpicking, rock, pop, jazz etc. There are a total of 43 songs to learn from.
– how to count basic rhythms
– 18 strumming patterns in various timings
– chords, chord progressions, fills and embellishment
– arpeggios and fingerstyle techniques
– blues song forms: 12- bar, shuffle, single-line melody, ragtime, delta style
– country styles: Travis picking, fingerstyle, bluegrass, old-time
– jazz: common progressions, 12-bar jazzy-blues, minor blues, jazz-waltz, ballade, Latin
– advanced chords: min/maj7, dom9, min/maj9, altered dominant (#9, b9, #5, b5), half-diminished, min7b5
Despite the high-definition video quality, I feel that the close-ups on the fretting hand are not close enough. Anyway, if you watch it on a widescreen TV, you still can see the fingering very clearly. There are probably 2 cameras at different angles. The shots are all in split-screen view so you can watch both hands playing at the same time. Dan’s playing and teaching is decent but I would really like to have more song examples.
- 2 audio CDs with 127 tracks of solo acoustic guitar.
- A 135-page workbook containing 158 musical examples such as tabs, notations and fretboard diagrams (completely cross-referenced with DVDs and CDs).
Furthermore, some free bonuses are included like most other online courses:
- Online Student Support Forum – For you to post questions
- Progress Tracker – For you to chart your own daily progress & show you what to do next
- Quick-Start Guide – To show you exactly how to use the material in the course
Dan provides email and phone support should you have any questions about the guitar course. As I have mentioned before, There is also a members only online support forum where you can post your questions. The forum community is quite small if you compare with other forums like Gibson’s Learn And Master Guitar‘s forum.
I personally feel that the price tag USD 147 is overpriced. At this price, I would expect more song examples in those DVDs. Anyhow, you can’t get the same decent quality materials from a private guitar lessons at such a price.
Dan also offers you a 90-day money back guarantee. If you aren’t satisfied with the course, you can request full refund of the purchase price (shipping and handling charges are non-refundable). You have to bear the freight charge if you return the mail package to Dan.
Acoustic Guitar Secrets is very good for those intermediate players who like to learn various acoustic guitar styles. It would be great if the close-up shot on the fretting hand can be somehow closer. If there is another reason I am not quite satisfied with the course, it is the price.
Submit your review