Amazing Guitar Secrets has been discontinued by Dan Danley. Go check out his latest product 6 Minute Guitar.
Note: If you purchased this product before, you could write a product review on our website by using the form at the bottom of this page. Your own experience will really help others to determine which guitar course is the best. By submitting this form, you certify that your review is a genuine opinion and you have no personal or business relationship with the product. You also attest that you have not been offered any incentive or payment originating from the product owner to write this review. This website has a zero-tolerance policy on fake reviews.
Amazing Guitar Secrets is absolutely perfect for complete beginners. Created by Dan Denley, an accomplished and professionally trained musician, Amazing Guitar Secrets’ contents include 10 professionally printed course books totalling 400+ pages, 2 DVDs with 4 hours of instruction and 1 CD-ROM.
Dan Denley began playing guitar when he was only 14. He is a self-taught guitarist and classically trained musician. He claimed that he earned a bachelor’s degree in music history. Dan has been a member of 10 bands and has played in some large venue performances so he has a lot of playing experience himself.
The Amazing Guitar Secrets comes into 2 versions:
1) Standard Edition:
- 2 DVDs with approximately 4 hours of instructions
- Online access to video tutorials, audio tracks, “Quick Start Guide” and 10 course books in PDF format excluding “Advanced Chord Progressions For Guitar” book
2) Gold Edition:
- 2 DVDs with approximately 4 hours of instructions
- “Quick Start Guide” and 10 professionally printed spiral course books
- 1 CD contains PDF lesson books, video tutorials, audio tracks and jam tracks
Below are the details of each item:
The 2 DVDs contain the following video lessons:
- How to string and tune your guitar
- How to read and play tablature
- Chords: majar, minor, open-position, barre, 7ths (dominant, maj, min), extended (9ths, 11th, 13ths)
- Scales: major, minor (natural, harmonic, melodic), 7 modes, pentatonic (major, minor, blues). Note: scales taught in all positions and all keys over entire fretboard.
- Finger strength exercises to increase speed, stamina and ability to fret difficult chords
- How to identify notes on the fretboard
- Sharps, flats, naturals: what they are and how they work
- Intervals, accidentals (sharps and flats) scale degrees
- Solo skills: bends, vibrato, hammer-ons/pull-offs, tapping, sliding, tremolo/speed picking, trills
- Secrets to composing music (how to write your own music)
A lot of lessons are geared towards learning scales and notes all across the fretboard. So if you are looking to learn to play electric guitar then you have all the basics in this course. Of course, acoustic guitar players can also benefit from this course.
The video mostly has high-definition quality except the “Secrets to composing music” part. There are some on-screen diagrams, images and tabs especially at the beginning of the course. There are also close-up shots on the solo skills part but they are not split-screen shots. I think more close-ups are required for other parts of the video lessons. Dan made quite a number of minor mistakes while explaining in the videos but he realized it and quickly corrected himself after that.
The 10 lesson books totalling 400+ page include the following:
- The Amazing Guitar Secrets Guide Book
- Progress Tracker
- 20 Strength And Agility Exercises For Guitar
- 30 Ready-To-Play Chord Progressions Based CAGED Chords
- Quick And Easy Way To Play Rhythms
- Minor Scale Mania
- Mastering The Major Scale
- How To Solo With The Major, Minor And Blues Pentatonic Scales
- Guitar Theory Made Easy
- Advanced Chord Progressions For Guitar (Gold Members Only)
And the CD contains the following:
- PDF format of those lesson books
- 41 video tutorials (Approximately 3.5 hours)
- How to read chord charts and diagrams
- How to play barre chords
- How to recognize rhythmic patterns
- Intro to music notation
- Soloing with pentatonic scales
- Learn CAGED minor chords
- Learn major 7th and minor 7th chords
- Learn movable barre chords
The 40 audio jam tracks cover a wide range of guitar styles but I would say that you will learn quite a lot about rock and blues guitar. They are all in MP3 format. Sadly, I found that they were recorded using the guitar only. It defeats the purpose of having these jam tracks because they are only useful when you have a full band to jam with.
There are couple of software available for download on the website. They are “Guitar Codex” chords and scale training application. You can download and install it on your computer which can be useful if not very cool.
Dan provides email and phone support should you have any questions about the guitar course. There will be dedicated support staff to handle all customer issues. There is also an online public forum where you can post your questions. However, the community is quite small. Lately, I saw a few posts showing adult contents by internet spammers. Hopefully, this issue will be handled promptly.
Standard Edition is priced at USD 47 while Gold Edition is priced at USD 97. While the word “Secrets” may sound like hype, Amazing Guitar Secrets is still an affordable and one of the decent online guitar courses. USD 97 one-time price is really a great value considering it contains well over 12 month’s worth of lessons. You may sign up for the free guitar lessons when you enter the site later.
Dan also offers you a 30-day money back guarantee. If you aren’t satisfied with the course, you can request full refund of the purchase price (shipping and handling charges are non-refundable). By the way, shipping cost will be incurred as you need to return the mail package back to Dan.
While this course is for novice, some intermediate players who are stuck in a rut will also find some useful skills and uncover some of the building blocks of guitar playing as well as music. I do not recommend this to advanced guitarists because they will benefit the least.
As of now, Dan has produced several great products including his latest product 6 Minute Guitar.
Submit your review